Your Future Awaits...Call Us at (334)872-2533                                                 

Frequently Asked Questions

Just to clear up a few things:

Costs and Fees
Financial Aid/Scholarships
NetPrice Calculator
How to Apply
Disbursement Policy
Refunds and Return of Title IV Aid Policy
Satisfactory Academic Progress


What are the steps I have to take to apply for financial aid?

(1) For any type of federal aid, including student loans, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at (2) If you want a student loan, complete the SLCC Loan Request Form; complete a Master Promissory Note (you can do this online at if you use one of the school’s lenders); complete Loan Entrance Counseling online at

If I have sufficient financial aid to cover my costs, do I need any cash to start classes?

If you have sufficient financial aid, you will not need any cash at the time you begin classes. If you have enough financial aid to cover books, your books can be added to your school account also.

Why do I have to provide my parent’s information when my parents do not support me and do not claim me on their tax return?

There are thirteen (13) yes/no questions on the FAFSA that determine your dependency status.  Even if you are self supporting, you are considered a dependent of your parents unless you can answer "yes" to one of those questions.
I already filed the FAFSA but did not list Selma University as one of my schools

You can make a correction online and add our school code.  Go to and select the link ADD OR DELETE A SCHOOL CODE.  SLCC’s code is 040673.

I am a dependent student, but my parent refuses to sign the FAFSA or submit FAFSA information.

If there are unusual circumstances, such as abuse, abandonment, etc., the Financial Aid Office may be able to do a dependency override if you provide sufficient documentation. Contact the Financial Aid Office to request a Dependency Override form if this is the case. If circumstances do not warrant a dependency override, there is a provision in which a student whose parents refuse to cooperate in completing the FAFSA may be able to receive an unsubsidized Stafford Loan. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.

What determines the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) when I file my FAFSA?

Family income is one factor, but not the only one.  Family size, number in college, untaxed income, assets, etc. are also taken into consideration.  The student’s own income and assets are assessed more heavily than the parents’.

What if my family’s financial situation has changed considerably from the information we reported on the FAFSA?

The Financial Aid Office may be able to do an income adjustment based on the current situation.  Request an Income Adjustment Form from the Financial Aid Office.

My parents are divorced.  My mother is remarried and my stepfather hasn’t adopted me.  Is my stepfather required to supply his financial information on the FAFSA?


I am an independent married student and my wife and I filed our tax returns separately.  Do I need to include her income on my FAFSA?

Yes.  When asked for income and taxes paid and other tax items, you must total the amounts from both returns.

My parents are divorced.  I live with my mother, but my father claims me on his tax return.  Whose information do I report on the FAFSA?

Complete the FAFSA with your information and your mother’s information.  Only the custodial parent (parent with whom the child lives) is required to supply the necessary financial information.   If the father furnishes child support, it will be reported on the FAFSA also.

What if my parents’ income tax return has not been completed when I file the FAFSA?

You may use an estimate to file the FAFSA; however, your FAFSA will probably be selected for verification, and you will have to provide complete federal income tax information before actual awards will be made.

What does it mean if I am selected for a process called Verification?

SLCC’s Financial Aid Office is required to obtain certain documents from students selected for verification. You will be notified by the SLCC Financial Aid Office regarding what documents are required.

Can I obtain a job on campus?

Funding for jobs on campus is limited; jobs are assigned primarily to returning students who have demonstrated  competence and dependability in their Ministry Advancement Program assignments the previous year.  Freshmen generally will not be assigned paid jobs on campus.

I am a transfer student.  What determines my grade level for Stafford Loan purposes?

Once your admissions file is complete, the Registrar will evaluate your previous transcripts depending on what your intended degree program will be and determine how many of your credits are accepted for transfer to that program.  The number of credits accepted will determine your grade level for loan purposes.

After applying for financial aid, what do I do next?

Once you have completed all the proper paper work needed for financial aid, you will receive a Financial Aid Award Letter in the mail.  This letter will indicate the aid that has been awarded.  Review the award letter for accuracy and to make sure your financial aid is sufficient to cover your costs.   Read all of the accompanying material to make sure you understand the terms and conditions of your financial aid.   You do not need to sign and return the award letter unless you reject one or more of the awards. 

                                                                   ©2017 Selma University. All Rights Reserved.